Social Media

Monday, March 10, 2014

Recent Beauty Buys



Over the last couple months I have been very fortunate to be gifted and purchase some new beauty buys. The majority of my new items were gifted to me by my sister in law in this huge grab bag of goodies that were going to be thrown out.  I literally sifted through the bag like a 12 year old at a Beiber concert.

The other items were purchased by myself or my husband at Sephora for my birthday (February 20th).  As a make up lover I was over joyed that I finally got to set foot into the sacred isle ways.  For the majority of my life (literally up until the last two years) I've only done my shopping at drug stores due to my budget. After finding YouTube and beauty gurus my love affair began.  I watched from a far but now that I got my first taste its going to be difficult to maintain the itch.

Here is a list of items that I recently got and how I feel about them.  Feel free to share your opinions on the products below or on twitter (@jvalley0714).
  • Formula X Nail Color in Dynamic - This nail polish is from the Spring 2014 collection and was relatively new to the store.  I saw this color and thought it would be  to a great neutral color to add to my collection.  The color looks good on my nails but when I went to take it off it tore them up.  I didn't use a base but normally I don't have to. The damage has been done now but I don't think I'll be trying that brand again.
  • Clinique Lid Smoothie Antioxidant 8-hour Eye Colour in Current Affair - This stuff feels delightful going on.  The metal applicator is cold and relaxing.  The color stays on great and this color is a great base for a neutral eye (smokey or natural).
  • Makeup Forever Rouge Artist Natural in N9 - The to items by Make Up Forever were gifts from Sephora for my birthday.  This lip stick is a raisin color which isn't something I would normally wear but actually looks flattering on.  The consistency is really nice and the product doesn't smell.  I found that it bleeds but so does EVERY lipstick I try (HELP! Advice Tweet me please).
  • Makeup Forever Smokey Extravagant in Black - I haven't had the chance to really test this one out since I've been loving my Too Faced mascara so much.
  • Josie Maran Argan Color Stick in Petal Pink - I finally jumped on the argan band wagon.  The stick is super pigmented and a lovely shade of pink.  I've been mostly wearing it as a blush and it says on pretty well. 
  • Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Original -  Oh Holy Grail product! I have extremely oily eyes and have tried a lot of primers (NYX, E.L.F just to name two).  I finally find something that helps keep my makeup on all day.  Up until I got this item I was forced to use my cream eye shadows as a base so having this gem opened up a lot of make up possibilities.  The only complaint I have is that it makes my eyes hurt and water when I first put it on.
  • Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara in Black - This stuff is awesome! It plumps and it lengths.  It gets the job done.  If your looking for something that defines than I wouldn't recommend this one.
  • Ulta Extreme Wear Cream Eye Shadow and Eye Liner in Almost Famous - An awesome base that is brown/gold. It stays on pretty well and the color makes alot of great eye color combos.
  • Urban Decay Eye Shadow in Half Baked - An urban legend (pun intended).  This color is a yellow gold with alot of color pay off.  Get on its own or paired with browns to make a gold smokey eye.
  • OCC Lip Tar in Femme - This is my first OCC product and I'm not sure its living up the hype.  I have a problem with lip sticks bleeding on me so I thought this heavy duty hitter would stay in place.  Right now it not staying easily and keeps rolling into chunks on my lips after very little time on.
  • Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Blush in Blissful - This is such a pretty color!  I literally picked this up at the store and said "Oh pretty" like a 5 year old.  The color pay off is great almost to the point that you have to be careful how much you put on your brush. It seems to be staying on for a good majority of the day so it's my go to for the moment.
  • Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Nude - I had high hopes for this product.  I see gurus using this alot but when I put it on its sticky and doesn't blend well. There is defiintly a color transfer and at the translucency you would excpect from a tinted moisturizer.  I'm glad I purchased this in a trial/travel size because if I would of got the full size I probably would have regreted spending my money.  I think I'm going to save this one for summer.
  • Benefit Porefessional - Its a silicone feeling primer that blurs your face into perfection.  You name the problem and I have it: shiney T zone, large pores, black heads, blemishes. This product does a great job creating a flawless base and has easily made it into my daily routine.
  • Esste Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Flawless Wear Concelor in Light Medium - I have been lusting over this product ever since it started popping up onto my favorite gurus must have list.  This product asks as a great under eye concler that hides my dark circles and resists creasing.
  • Clinque Moisture Surge Intense Moisturizer - I apply this stuff when I feel the for some extra moisture on my face.  It glides on well and seems to keep the dry patches at bay.  I have been having a problem getting past the smell when I apply.  The smell kind of reminds me of the stuff my grandma would put on her face at the end of the day.
  • Not pictured: Benefit Boiing in 01. The jury's still out on this one.  I'm having a hard time finding the right way to apply it.  It seems to cover up my redness and scaring but within a short time it looks like I didn't even apply it.  I hope I'm not beating a dead dog but I am going to continue trying to make it work.
I'm currently on a mass hunt for a good foundation.  I'm looking for something that is medium to light cover that can handle my skin (see the description in the Benefit Porefessional bullet).  I'd like to find a drug store and high end product so I'm not reliant on one price point.  If you have any suggestions please hit me up on here or twitter (@jvalley0714).

If you like my blog please like me on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share!